Download an electronic copy of the
2020 Candidate Handbook.
Please note: Applications and portfolios will only be accepted via online submission as of Jan. 1, 2019.
How to prepare for the exam
Hear from Antonio Amadeo, AIA, ACHA on his experience taking the ACHA Exam:
Enroll in a program
Click on a program to review the requirements necessary for (initial) certification. Please follow these steps for enrollment:
- Sign in to the website with your ACHA user name and password
- If you are a new exam applicant, you will need to create a new account
- Review the requirements and noted deadlines
Complete the requirements
Once enrolled, you can view your progress towards certification or recertification by completing each of the steps required for completion.
Tip: Record completion = Click to complete
Complete the program
Your certification application and portfolio will be evaluated by independent peer review panel. If approved to sit for the exam, you will receive detailed information about scheduling your exam. Please allow 6-8 weeks following the deadline by which your application was submitted (Feb. 1 or April 1).
Exam Administration Dates:
The ACHA Exam will be given during the month of July. The computer-based exam is given at over 200 PSI Testing Centers across the U.S. and Canada. Advanced registration for the exam is required.
- February 1 - early bird deadline
- April 1 - regular deadline
Samples of Portfolios:
Please note that the above portfolio samples are provided as examples of content only.
For more details on the portfolio or application process, please refer to the Candidate Handbook.
Please note that the 2020 exam is based upon the Content Outline which can be found in the Candidate Handbook and below.
Examination Content Outline
- National Fire Protection Association. Specific codes and standards include NFPA 101: Life Safety Code current edition. [Complete list of codes and standards available online at www.nfpa.org].
- JCAHO Accreditation Manuals
- 2018 FGI Guideline
Helpful Hints for the Exam:
Other study resources:
For information on upcoming Exam Prep Seminars, please
*Note: Turn off your pop-up blocker program.
Get Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDFs online.